Magicians never share their secrets. But we do. Sign up for our Ruby Magic email series and receive deep insights about garbage collection, memory allocation, concurrency and much more.
The very first version of the AppSignal design consisted of some Twitter Bootstrap elements, patched together with duct tape. Both bootstrap frameworks and duct tape are very useful, but will not provide trust for users. We have come a long way in our quest to get AppSignal to be useful and beautiful.
We realise that we're in the data business, but information is your business. Naturally, our goal is the optimal transformation from data to information. We're constantly taking steps towards this goal.
Today, we shipped a new version of AppSignal. Apart from some small design improvements, there is a difference that you will notice immediately. We have added small bars to the values in our tables and made all tables sortable.
It can be hard to find relevant information in a table. The new bars will help you to scan the rows without reading all the data. The bar for the largest value in a column is 100%, with the other bar-widths calculated in proportion to this data. This change gives AppSignal a whole new feeling.
It's nice to have some control over the interface. By default, we sort all tables by what we think is most useful. But now you're in the driver's seat. You'll be able to sort the tables the way you want.
We're working on more design improvements, all focussed on making it easier for you to find useful information. We're close to shipping a new version of our graphs throughout the application with an improved design and interaction.